Anna Miari, MD is Associate of Clinical Psychiatry at the Weill Cornell Medical College, where she maintains a private practice in General Adult Psychiatry. Areas of expertise include anxiety disorders, mood disorders, personality disorders, reproductive psychiatry, general life problems. Her practice offers consultations, pharmacological treatment, psychotherapy and psychoanalysis.
In the role of Associate Attending in the Weill Cornell Students’ Mental Health Service Dr. Miari has had years of experience treating a young adult population of post-graduate and medical students for a variety of problems.
Dr. Anna Miari trained in neurology and completed a post-doctoral degree in neuro-psychopharmacology at Mario Negri Institute in Milan, Italy. Her published research includes studies on the pharmacology of serotonin and benzodiazepines, and on the role of glutamate receptors in neurodegenerative diseases.
After completing training in psychiatry at the Weill Cornell Medical College Dr. Miari trained in Adult Psychoanalysis at The New York Psychoanalytic Institute, where she is an active faculty member, currently teaching the course on Developments on the concepts of the Self and Narcissism.
Dr. Miari teaches general psychiatry to Weill Cornell Medical students and supervises psychiatry residents in training. She is a contributing member of the Women’s Mental Health Program, specializing in Reproductive Psychiatry.
Dr. Miari is currently a member of the Department of Psychiatry Faculty Council.
Advanced training in the areas of neuro-psychopharmacology and psychotherapy provide her practice with the range of experience necessary for expert assessment and treatment of psychiatric conditions requiring a combined treatment approach.
She practices in English and Italian.
Office hours by appointment only.
- Undergraduate: Parma Unversity Medical School
- Graduate: Neuro-Psychopharmacology - Mario Negri Institute; Adult Psychoanalysis - The New York Psychoanalytic Institute
- Medical School: University of Parma, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery - 1986
- Internship: Presbyterian Hospital/ Weill Cornell Medical Center
New York - Presbyterian Hospital/ Weill Cornell Medical Center
Research Fellowship in Neuropsychopharmacology, Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research, Milan, Italy
Associate Professor of Clinical Psychiatry at Weill Cornell Medicine
Associate Attending at The New York Presbyterian Hospital
American Psychoanalytic Association
Women's Mental Health Consortium
Independent Doctors of new York
NewYork Psychoanalytic Society and Institute
- Veteran's Affairs grant for a research fellowship on post-traumatic stress disorder
- European Economic Community-Regione Abruzzo two-year scholarship for a biomedical research project abroad
- "Dino Alinovi" prize for best graduating medical student in the class of 1986 from Parma University Medical School
1. A . Mazzucchi, E. Sinforiani, P. Zinelli, C. Agostinis, F. Granella, A. Miari, G.C. Manzoni, and M. Parma
Interhemispheric attentional functioning in classic migraine patients during paroxysmal and interparoxysmal phases. - Headache: 28, 488-493, 1988
2. S.G. Cella, T. Mennini, A. Miari, S. Cavanus, V. Arce, E.E. Muller
Down regulation of alpha 2-adrenoceptors involved in Growth Hormone control in the hypothalamus of infant rats receiving short term Clonidine administration. - Developmental Brain Research: 53, 151-156, 1990
3. M. Gobbi, S. Cavanus, A. Miari, T. Mennini
Effect of acute and chronic Buspirone administration on benzodiazepine and serotonin receptor subtypes in the rat brain: an autoradiographic study. - Neuropharmacology: 30, 313-321,1991
4. T. Mennini, A. Miari
Modulation of 3H-Glutamate receptor binding by serotonin in the rat hippocampus: an autoradiographic study. - Life Science: 49, 283-292, 1991
5. A. Miari, A. Reggiani, E. Ratti, T. Mennini
Temporal profile of glutamate receptor subtypes and mitochondrial benzodiazepine receptors in a model of transient ischemia in the gerbil. - Neuroscience Research Communications: 11, 27-36, 1992
6. R. Spreafico, T. Mennini, L. Danober, A. Cagnotto, M.C. Regondi, A. Miari, A. De Blasi, M. Vergnes, G. Avanzini
GABA-A receptor impairment in the genetic absence epilepsy rats from Strasbourg (GAERS): an immunocytochemical and receptor binding autoradiographic study. - Epilepsy Research: 15, 229-238, 1993
7. C. Bendotti, S. Baldessarini, M. Pende, G. Tarizzo, A. Miari, M.L. Presti, T. Mennini, and R. Samanin
Does GFAP mRNA and Mitochondrial Benzodiazepine Receptor Binding detect Serotoninergic Neuronal Degeneration in Rat? - Developmental Brain Research: 34, 389-394, 1994
8. T. Mennini, A. Miari, M.L. Presti, M. Rizzi, R. Samanin, A. Vezzani
Adaptive changes in the NMDA receptor complex in rat hippocampus after chronic treatment with CGP 39551 - European Journal of Pharmacology: 271, 93-101, 1994
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology