Address214 East 70th Street
New York, NY 10021
Dr. Sharon Batista, MD, is a board-certified psychiatrist in private practice. Dr. Batista completed her medical education and psychiatric training at the Icahn School of Medicine’s Mount Sinai Hospital and fellowship in Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry at New York University. She is Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at the Mount Sinai Hospital and is a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, Fellow of the American Medical Women’s Association, and Fellow of the Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry. Dr. Batista has published in the field of multiple articles in psychiatry as well as in HIV Psychiatry, as author of chapters within the Comprehensive Textbook of AIDS Psychiatry, published in 2008, and co-author of Handbook of AIDS Psychiatry, published in 2010. Dr.Batista serves as a psychiatric advisor for NOCD and has completed BTTI training through the International OCD Foundation. Dr. Batista is a specialist in women’s mental health, anxiety disorders and OCD, multicultural psychiatry, and telemedicine. Dr.Batista enjoys working with patients suffering from anxiety and depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and OC-Related disorders, hoarding, perfectionism, body-focused repetitive behaviors. She is trained in cognitive behavior therapy (CBT), psychodynamic psychotherapy, and exposure response prevention (ERP) treatment. Dr. Batista also provides treatment and support to caregivers, family members, persons who are working through career stress, or who are undergoing professional growth and transitions. Dr. Batista provides consultations to persons who wish to clarify their diagnosis and/or medication management options. Dr. Batista specializes in mental health care for women and people of color. She is race, ethnicity, sexuality and gender-affirming/positive. Dr. Batista provides care across the lifespan including serving as a perinatal mental health consultant to patients seeking psychiatric consultation for pre-pregnancy planning, during pregnancy, postpartum as well as in menopause. She embraces an approach including self-help, education, cognitive-behavioral techniques, and empowerment. If you'd like to read a recent interview by Dr.Batista please click the following link: Women's Mental Health https://www.familyaware.org/treating-depression-in-women/
Harvard UniversityMedical School
Mount Sinai School of Medicine of New York UniversityResidency
Mount Sinai School of Medicine of New York University, Psychiatry Residency Program 2006-2010Fellowship
New York University, Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry 2010-2011
Professional AchievementsBoard Certifications
Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Addiction Medicine, American Board of Preventive MedicineAcademic Titles
Assistant Professor, Mount Sinai HospitalAwards
Distinguished Fellow, American Psychiatric Association
Fellow, American Medical Women's Association
Fellow, Academy of Consultation-Liaison PsychiatryPublications
• Tavakkoli M, Cohen MA, Alfonso CA, Batista SM, Tiamson-Kassab MLA, Meyer P. Caring for persons with early childhood trauma, PTSD, and HIV: a curriculum for clinicians. Academic Psychiatry 2014; 38:696-700.
• Hildebrandt T, Batista SM, Shear M, Alonso Y. Chapter 22: Eating Disorders. In Mount Sinai Expert Guides. John Wiley & Sons, 2017.
• Loh D, and Dokun O, Batista SM. Chapter 45: Symptomatology and Psychopharmacology Across Cultures. in Mount Sinai Expert Guides. John Wiley & Sons, 2017.
• Batista SM, Schiano T, Anderson SA, Klipstein K. “Survey of Current Practice Regarding Marijuana Abuse in Liver Transplantation patients Prior to Transplantation” (manuscript in preparation)
• Cohen MA, Goforth HW, Luz JZ, Batista SM, Khalife S, Cozza KL, and Soffer J (2010). Handbook of AIDS Psychiatry. Oxford University Press, New York, New York.
• Cohen MA, Batista SM, Lux JZ. Chapter 2: A Biopsychosocial Approach to Psychiatric Consultation in Persons with HIV and AIDS in Handbook of AIDS Psychiatry. Oxford University Press, New York, 2010.
• Cohen MA, Batista SM, Soffer J. Chapter 3: HIV Through the Life Cycle in Handbook of AIDS Psychiatry. Oxford University Press, New York, 2010.
• Batista SM, Goforth HW, Cohen MA. Chapter 6: Diagnosis of Psychiatric Disorders in Handbook of AIDS Psychiatry. Oxford University Press, New York, 2010.
• Cozza KL, Goforth HW, Batista SM. Chapter 7: Psychopharmacologic Treatment Issues in AIDS Psychiatry in Handbook of AIDS Psychiatry. Oxford University Press, New York, 2010.
• Cohen MA, Batista SM. Chapter 13: Ethical and Legal Aspects of AIDS Psychiatry in Handbook of AIDS Psychiatry. Oxford University Press, New York, 2010.
• Batista SM, Cozza KL. Chapter 14: Resources for Persons with AIDS and Their Caregivers in Handbook of AIDS Psychiatry. Oxford University Press, New York, 2010.
• Cohen MA, Batista SM, Gorman JM. Chapter 11: Anxiety Disorders in Comprehensive Textbook of AIDS Psychiatry. Oxford University Press, September 2008.